giovedì 7 ottobre 2010

Boy+Shower=Flood

I will now introduce you my housemates:

I live with 4 people, 2 girls and 2 boys. The girls' name are Teresa and Darina. The boys' name are Jan and Hao.

Teresa and Jan are polish, they've studied together in Warsaw and lived together already as well. They told the landlady they were cousins, in reality they're just best friends.
They told me they made up the 'cousins' story because they didn't want people to keep asking if they were 'together', and at first I was like 'and what's wrong with people asking you if you're together?', but then Jan told me he's gay, so yeah, I see the point.
They're doing my same MA, Translation and Interpreting.

Darina is from Estonia, first language being Russian. Lol. She's very nice though nobody, and when I say nobody, I mean nobody in the house can understand her when she speaks.
Alright, maybe now we're getting a little used to it, but it is very hard to keep up with her when she speaks. Maybe because she lived in Wigan for 10 years, we don't know. Weird accent anyway.
She studies Ceramics at Manchester Metropolitan (the other Uni here in Mancunialand).

Hao, as you can figure out from the name, is chinese. But he's been living in UK since he was 8 years old, so he's now a home student, he doesn't have any chinese accent whatsoever and any other word uses 'cheers' just like any british boy would do.
He's an undergrad doing PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) !!!

I have to say I really enjoy my housemates. Above all the polish ones, we spend not all, but a quite lot time together in the kitchen/lounge, talking about our countries, our traditions, our food, boys, school etc.
Darina is always with her boyfriend, whose name I totally don't remember, but when they're together, aside from when they have to cook, they're always out or in her room.
As for Hao, we barely see him. He literally lives locked up in his room, he comes downstairs for food and that's pretty much it. But he causes us no troubles so we like him.

The only thing I must complain about is the fact that they're not very keen of cleaning. So, since we all moved here, I've been cleaning the kitchen and the bathroom any Sunday (and little cleaning every day). Teresa said she was going to put up a Cleaning Shift, but she hasn't done it yet, so I guess this weekend I'll clean again. Which I don't mind, really, but I'd just appreciate if sometime they would wipe off the sink, or the toilet or the bread crumbs from the table. You know, little things.
Plus, I have realized that when the boys in our house go take a shower, they'll end up causing a flood on the floor. Like, really, can't you just use the shower curtain properly? Oh well.

When I lived in the US I learned not to be picky anymore. You just get used to it.
The house is lovely anyway.


"There is a house built out of stone
Wooden floors, walls and window sills
Tables and chairs worn by all of the dust
This is a place where I don't feel alone
This is a place where i feel at home"

(Cinematic Orchestra, To Build a House)

2 commenti:

  1. Magari un giorno conoscerai anche i miei amici che vivono a Manchester... lì si che ti direi che il mondo è piccolo!

    I tuoi coinquilini sembrano dei tipi tranquilli ed a posto, si sentono certe storie di litigate furiose fra housemates di solito. Sei stata fortunata!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Oh lo so bene. Infatti non mi lamento, ho solo scritto delle particolarità su di loro. Una mia amica qui a Mcr è dovuta scappare dalla vecchia casa perchè le liti con due coinquiline erano tremende :S

    RispondiElimina