venerdì 15 ottobre 2010

Da, konechno, bez problem

This past wednesday I went meeting a girl for the Russian face-to-face.

The 'face-to-face' is a blackboard at the Language Centre where students pin a little card in which they write what language they can offer and what language they're looking for.

Of course I went looking for Russian speaking people, and found the add of this girl who was looking for German/English speakers.

I wrote to her, being completely honest, telling her I am no native speaker but I would have liked to meet her to practice some Russian which, in reality, sucks so bad.

We met last wednesday and we're planning to meet again next tuesday.
She's adorable. She's so young as well, being in her first undergrad year. She's from Chechny and I would have never thought Chechny people would have been so nice.
Yeah I know, there's no need to generalize and one size doesn't fit all, but still I was pleasantly surprised by her kindness. And patience.

As I said, unfortunately, my spoken Russian is pretty terrible, even though I love Russia and Russian with every cell of my body.
She helped me with the Russian time (weird people, the Russians. To say 2:10 they say '3:10', don't ask me why!) and then we went to a Seminar together.

We found out we have the same taste in music, which is absolutely amazing, as I don't really have many people to share my love for Indie Rock and Arctic Monkeys with. Too bad there's, apparently, no gig planned in Manchester for 2011.

Anyway, still speaking a bit of my passion for the Rassiskaja Fidirazia, I am also attending the Russian LEAP course at the University. LEAP stands for Language Enrichment Activities Program, and basically gives you the opportunity to follow a language course even though you don't have any free credits (meaning that, yes, of course you need to pay for it!).
I love the course and there are nice people in the class as well. Hopefully I'll end up being a little fluent in the end. Then, I'll be ready to move to Petersburg and marry a nice, vodka drinker, blonde, blue-eyed Russian guy :)

"Kalinka, kalinka, kalinka moya!
V sadu yagoda malinka, malinka moya!"
(Ivan Larionov)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento